Thursday 11 December 2014

Writing important documents

Those of you who know me will know that I am a reluctant academic. I don't always write well (plenty of evidence here of that!), I'm lazy and of my friendship group I'm probably the owner of the lowest IQ and posses the least academic qualities.

There are many things I am very good at, but I wouldn't describe academia proper as one of them.

With this in mind I was very surprised to be invited to a meeting at the university this week. It transpired that I'd been invited to help advice the writing of a new course- Which is very exciting!
There were other, far more qualified people on had to deal with all the important bits, but I was invited specifically to design a major project/dissertation relating to my latest work interest: STEM.

I was really honoured to even be asked to advise, I am by no means an expert on anything!
I don't care if they never use anything I wrote I was just delighted to be there! I should receive the draft of my assignment brief next month and will have been asked to attend the review meeting for the university board where I will be expected to explain the brief and answer questions- Hopefully then the course will be accredited and signed off!

One of my colleagues had ben working on the project- alongside collages from other places- for a few months, but when the subject of a STEM dissertation came up she recommended me (Which was a bit of an ego boost!).

I hope I'll get to have a bit more involvement with the course as it progresses, but to be honest, this has topped my expectations of the year so far already!

2014-2015 will be an exciting year- STEM coordinator, STEM club proper, STEM scholars programme, My Science fair (Which has taken my life over) and now the involvement with the university.
... and the Engineering course where we get to make watches in january!

I know I whinge about my job- but I really do enjoy it. I cannot think of any other profession where I would be allowed so much creative scope or so many opportunities.
:D

And only having 8 working days until I have a winter holiday is a massive bonus too!





No comments:

Post a Comment