Saturday 17 January 2015

Wilstead.

It's cold and bright today, but we're under threat of snow on Sunday!
I had planned to have a walk around priory marina and take some photos, I did think about walking to Sandy and getting the bus back. In the end I met my plan in the middle and walked from Priory park to Willstead.


Everything looks a bit wintery still- I whatsapped Jay this photo and he thought it looked creepy- I think it looks springy! no leaves yet but it's sunny and bright, we're getting there!


Further along the cycle route to Sandy theres part of the old railway line- possibly one of Beeching's famous cuts- and originally used to supply the coal power station which closed in the 70s. I was curious about the view from the top so I climbed up the grass on the right of the photo.
I must've looked very silly- I wore my brown leather boots because they keep my feet warm and dry- but they're really not designed for scaling banks. It was worth it for the view, but I almost had to go back down the embankment on my bum!
Shoes not grippy enough.
Lesson learned.



 Proof I was still heading in the right direction! It's funny but because I was stopping to take photos all the way along the route I'd been walking for ages and realised I'd forgotten to look for the Wilstead signs! I thought I might have walked past it.
 I made it to Willstead and decided to walk through the village to see the National Trust's Medieval Dovecote, church and stables. I am still at a loss as to why someone would go to the effort to build such an impressive building to fill with doves.
If I'm honest, I was curious about the medieval buildings, but I am conditioned to associate national trust signs with very good coffee and walnut cake.
Sadly, the tea shop is only available April-September.



I walked through Willstead village and followed signs to the Danish camp- I had heard that it had a cafe but as it also has boats and rowing and a running club I was a teeny bit worried it would be all kale smoothies and de-caf green tea.
All wrong on my part! It's a really lovely cafe, with brilliant views and friendly staff- I'll be taking Traff back there so that we can try out their lunch menu next time we're both free on a non-rainy weekend day.
I had rocky road and tea- after my 4 mile walk (1 mile to priory, 2 1/2 miles to Wilstead and 1/2 a mile round the village) I thought I deserved it.


If I'm honest, I this was the point in the day where I realised I had not thought this through. I'd relaxed a bit too much and a bit too long at the Danish camp, drinking my tea and eating my cake.
On leaving the cafe, I realised the sun was getting low, and the temperature had dropped quite a bit. I was worried I'd still be walking home in the dark!


Instead of walking back along the cycle path, this time I changed things up a bit and walked back along the footpath- I was a bit gutted when I saw the road sign directing me back to Goldington Road- I picked a longer route! 3.3 miles and still a mile back to the house!
The new scenery was nice though.


No comments:

Post a Comment