Sunday 25 January 2015

1940s style snood

I had a crochet day with Tats today- She picked out a pattern for us to attempt- the instructions for this are in the crochet section on here,as it's something I've been wanting to make for ages but the pattern is a bit confusing.
I've wanted to learn to increase and decrease my stitch numbers because I'd like to make a jumper (I know, such a cliche) and this was the perfect project to practice on (because it should be symmetrical, so if you're getting it wrong it'll be obvious very quickly).





Basicly, you're making a dinner plate sized doily. you can use any pattern as long as it ends up more-or less circular and the holes aren't massive otherwise all your hair will escape and make you look less chic. we used double knit and a 4mm hook- loads of patterns say to use thread but honestly, I think you'd just end up looking like a hedgehog unless you use a really tiny crochet hook.
It's fine if it goes wibbly, no-one will know once you're wearing it.
Mine is, as you can see, wibbly when flat.
Tats followed the instructions to the letter and threaded hers with yarn to make the hat-shape (- which she chained instead of plaiting because it was too much of a headache). I've used elastic for mine and it stays in place much better. no kirby grips for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment