Monday 5 January 2015

Back to work & The virtues of failure

I can't say I'm thrilled to be back at work- I was enjoying having a super restful holiday- but It's been a reasonably uncomplicated first day back.
We had whole staff training all day on some new software that we're being encouraged to use and some new strategies for improving self assessment and reflective work.
It was interesting.

They started the day talking about failure, and how fear of failure on any level holds us back from attaining our greatest potential.
This lead to ways to build resilience and an open mind set to help us to attain our goals and persevere with new challenges.

"All people want to love, to be loved and to be useful" ~ Duckford

It was quite an inspirational day really, but I felt a bit like I'd been overloaded with information. There was so much I wanted to do with all the things we discussed- but before I'd even gotten my head round how I'd implement or use any of it we were off on something else.
Hopefully I've retained some of the message from today. I have a massive headache and I feel a bit like the only thing I've really remembered was what I ate for lunch.
Maybe this is just part of my mental processing.

We watched a few motivational videos- I think that this was my favourite. "Rock bottom makes a firm foundation to build on".

Hopefully I will never experience this level of failure.
We do though, need to consider failure as the process of learning something new- a journey to improvement, as opposed to the end of the road. I know I am guilty of giving up too easily or being very hard on myself when I do not get things right. I'm a human being. I am allowed to make mistakes. I will try and be more positive in my outlook, try and see more things as opportunities rather than disasters.
After all, I'm pretty far from rock bottom, and I hope never to end up there.

On a less philosophical note, I had presents in my pigeon hole today! Presents from my secret angel.
:D

I had cupcakes for after dinner (no, not all 9)! And I'll wear my new socks tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment