Friday 23 January 2015

The next creative challenge... Metallica

Since I was a teenager, I've always wanted to be able to play the guitar- because all the best songs are written to be performed on this one, unattainable instrument.
Somehow, and in honesty it's probably a lack of practice, I've never managed to get my head round playing the guitar. 
I suffer from the most crippling performance anxiety for starters, so despite many of my friends best efforts (Ranging from the ever patient Stony at 14 through to all of my university housemates and finally poor Tristrum who's decision to start with "Sanitarium"  probably ruined that song for him for life!) I just can't play in front of people. So it's more or less impossible for someone to teach me.

It would be less shameful if I wasn't a classically trained violinist. 
I've played the violin from the age of 6, including for my degree. Before graduating university (And moving into a flat/shared house) I used to dedicate huge amounts of time to practice and perfecting songs which no-one else would ever hear.
As a teenager I would plan my practice when my parents were out.
They knew I still played because the neighbours could hear me through the walls, and once commented to them  how much she  liked a piece I was working on.
They were kind enough not to tell me.
The idea of playing in front of other people fills me with complete panic! my stomach goes all squirmy and I start to sweat. My immediate body language reaction is to make myself as small as possible.. which completely impedes any chance of playing anything.

I'm trying to address my anxiety. So, I'm going to learn "nothing else matters by metallica" which is actually pretty straight forward.
I am going to learn the solos.
And I'm going to learn them better than my friends.
Eventually, I may even challenge them to a solo-off.... Or I might not. Probably not. It's quite likely this will be another unperformed piece. but I'll be pleased with myself!

Either way, here is the sheet music- to prove my dedication to the cause:







No comments:

Post a Comment