Wednesday 24 June 2015

University Project day

Today I was at Cranfield university taking part in a "multilevel project" involving lots of different people of difference academic levels.
We were looking at a problem solving task in teams- we were given a box of 3D printed pieces and an exploded diagram of the machine it was supposed to make.
Then given 2 hours to make it.

The exploded diagram:
 The Machine:


 It was interesting- I'm a bit addicted to the idea of 3D printing so it was really cool to work with printed parts.
It was also very interesting working with people who are far more educated than I will ever be. I feel like I may have learned something.

We had a break for lunch- which was delicious an I have no idea how many BBQ chicken skewers I ate but there is a strong chance it equates to almost a whole chicken... and it's rude to turn down free food!

After lunch we went to see the exhibition of aircraft engines- this is the engine of concord and it is so much smaller than a boeing engine.. or even some light aircraft!
It's insane to think that this tiny engine gave enough thrust to break the sound barrier.
I know it seems a bit geeky to take a photo, but I doubt I'll see another one!

 After that we went to watch the Pan university paper aeroplane competition- for the most part they were normal looking paper aeroplanes, this one looked impressive but failed rather badly.


After lunch we make a presentation on how to improve the elastic band powered motor which we'd built, and then we gave the presentation to the other people there.

Following the presentation we were allowed to have a go on the oculus rift virtual reality headsets. they were a bit sea-sicky, but very cool.

So, all in all an interesting day at the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment