Wednesday 3 June 2015

The Unit by Nini Holmgvist

Following a discussion at work about cloning and someone suggesting that there was a risk that clones would be made as "spare parts" in the way that some designer babies have been (Have a baby, it's sick, have a "designer baby" who is a genetic match and can donate blood/ organs/ bone marrow... is it ethical?).
One of my collages said she'd been reading a really interesting book, which dealt with a future where the elderly with no dependants were treated as "spare parts" donors for blood, tissues organs etc, used in humane experiments and medical testing.
Scary thought, no?
I was curious so she brought the book in for me to borrow and I haven't put it down since! compelling reading!

Traff wants to read it next- he thinks it sounds like it has the potential to become a reality, perhaps not for the elderly but for the poor, to make them "earn" their state support.
I think he's being overly cynical. Unless we reject Europe and the Human Rights bill, in which case everyone run for the hills!
I digress, it's an awesome book, not too graphic not too sentimental, thought provoking enough to make it a talking point I think.
If anyone needs me I will be reading. Probably somewhere inconvenient.




No comments:

Post a Comment