Tuesday 16 June 2015

Hospital

Forgive my current lack of creativity and interestingness. Monday was stomach biopsy day.
Today I am achy and headachy, but OK.

I probably couldn't tell you want I did yesterday in any real detail. I had the procedure done under sedation,they use a stronger strain of Diazepam and they give you an local anaesthetic (Which tasted like bananas- after the nurse had explained the procedure and said I could choose to have the anaesthetic she left us to fill in the forms, Jay was like "You should take the anaesthetic- I wish she'd spoken to me first- I'd have made her leave out the banana bit, I know how much you hate them").

 I thought I was pretty OK afterwards and insisted that because it was sunny I could walk 3 miles back to my house.
We stopped off to get a drink in Yates's and I realised I was probably wrong.

Whilst we were waiting about, the nurse offered to fit the cannula in my arm. I'm a bit squeemish about needles and having been "nil by mouth" since the day before I was also really dehydrated. I asked if they could fit it just before (it took them almost 10 minutes to find a vein!) and I said to Jay I was dreading that almost more than the procedure itself. He replied that the worst thing about hospitals is when you're lying down on the bed and there are loads of people just looking down at you. Gee, thanks for making me more anxious- I hadn't even though of that.

After the procedure It  took ages for my hands to get warm, when I came to properly in the hospital two nurses were stood over me looking a bit worried because although my blood pressure was "perfect" my hands and lips had gone  blue.
Cue oxygen. I didn't really get what was going on at the time, but was totally fascinated by the spongy bits on the end of the tube for the oxygen tank.
Being a bit hazy I was interested in them because everyone else was looking and the nurse mistook my interest for concern and spent ages being like "I'm sure it's really nothing to be worried about" It hadn't occurred to me until she said it that it might be any cause for concern.

I spend more or less all afternoon watching snippets of things on netflix, eating ice cream and then sleeping on my duvet on the living room floor. I don't know what we watched. I couldn't tell you what we talked out. it was a very weird way to spend the afternoon.
I have been well looked after, and I suspect I was probably a bit of a pain in the bum.

It's pretty weird as an adult having to ask someone to come and get you from the hospital. It's that dawning realisation that we are- to other people at least- all now responsible adults.








No comments:

Post a Comment