Sunday 10 May 2015

VE day

Friday marked 70 years since the end of the Second World War (Victory in Europe).
There were all sorts of speeches and fireworks yesterday (Sadly overshadowed by a shite election result) and today Traff's Brothers are off to an Army Vs Navy Rugby match and there are lots of 1940s inspired events in Bedfordshire- Home of the 1940s reenactment!

20 years ago (I know, that makes me feel old) My Sister, Our Friends Sammie and Alex and I took part in the Street party in Didcot to mark 50 years since VE day (I was 7 and she was 5). They closed the main road through the town and set up long tables- mostly borrowed from the local schools., People brought plates of food and we had a massive street party with bunting and silly games. We sat at a table outside WH Smiths.
:)
I didn't really understand it's significance at the time, As a kid it was just a massive party. I remember it,  not totally clearly but perhaps because it's an unusual thing to do- to sit at a table which is 3 miles long in the middle of the main road!

My mum had promised (Threatened) to dig out the photos, Apparently I didn't like my hat at the time.. My mum made it from prima pattern... I'd happily wear it now! (I think I was always a bit jealous of Rays green dotty hat.. Red has never really been my colour.)





No comments:

Post a Comment