Saturday 30 May 2015

Dressmaking

My mum and I took out a prima subscription this tme last year after spending a whole weekend working on my malaysian fabric prom dress- We really enjoy sewing and she's really good so it's an ideal opportunity for me to learn some new skills.

I arrived on Friday night, we drank gin and ate lots of casis and white chocolate liqueurs and I only trusted myself to cut my pattern pieces- no sewing! 
My mum managed to pin her pattern pieces out all wrong and cut the skirt for her dress the wrong way up- so I did feel that I made the correct choice!

My first project of the day was to sew together my cheesecloth "kimino jacket". I've never worked with such a lose woven fabric before and I'll tell you for free that I won't be doing it again until I've forgotten this experience!
It stretched so much!
Its just as well it was always designed to be loose fitting!
an easy started for 10- took about 40 minutes to sew, and would have taken even less if I wasn't to hungover I turned my hems the wrong way!
And on to my 50s style tea length skirt- I had pressure for this one as I used my Malaysian sari fabric. I've carefully looked after it for a year until I found a project for it. it was very slippery to work with- soooo many pins! It looked like a hedgehog most of the time.
The fabric also shed. Everywhere! my parents spent most of the weekend picking lengths of blue silk out of the carpet/ everyones hair/ the sofa etc.
My mum also tried to teach me to fit a zip- I did my waistband myself and I'm very proud of it- but zips remain a mystery!


Both of my finished garments:
:)



No comments:

Post a Comment