Friday 11 March 2016

Updating jewellery


Looking through boxes at my parents I found my granny's old broach. It's costume jewellery so nothing expensive but it is sentimental to me.
It's something she used to wear- and when she wasn't wearing it it lived out on her dressing table. It still smells a bit of her face powder. which is really nostalgic and comforting.

Broaches are a bit old fashioned now. I do wear them on my coat sometimes but the take a bit of a hammering so this is not one I'd be willing to sacrifice to fashion. Instead I'm going to thread it onto ribbon and make it into a pendant necklace. This may result in being stabbed in the chest quite a bit more than with a usual necklace, but I think it's a nice way to make something sentimental wearable, without damaging it (I know I could get the pin removed, but if at a later date I do want to wear it properly, like my Granny did, I won't be able to. It's a bit too final). I am excited for being so spangly.

Bring on the black ribbon!

No comments:

Post a Comment