Saturday 18 October 2014

Wadham college, Oxford & The Sheldonian Theatre

On friday I went to a STEM day at Wadham college, Oxford. I like going to events in Oxford as I really do know exactly where I'm going!
Wadham is one of the colleges I've never been to or had an affiliation with- not even when I worked at The Museum of Oxford (They had an exhibition space and a lecture room, so we'd end up lending spaces to the uni or they'd put together temporary exhibitions or display their archeological finds- actually, it was the coolest job I've had to date!).

We started the day by arriving late (roadworks) and then a lecture on the college and it's famous scholars.
After the welcome lecture we had a tour of the college, libraries, grounds etc and we were treated to an early lunch in the main dining hall.
I love the dining halls at the Oxbridge unis- They make me think of Hogwarts!

After lunch we attended a lecture on John Wilkins and his contribution to science.
Then we attended a lecture on Engineering and it's applications.
After the lectures at Wadham, we were given some free tome to mooch around Oxford- I took Jenni to Ben's Cookies, The Bodlian, The Radcliffe camera and the Bridge of Sighs, before we had to go back to the Sheldonian for a lecture.

I've always wanted to go inside the Sheldonian theatre- To be honest, I was a little disappointed by how 60s it was on the inside- and how horribly uncomfortable the seats were! but that is one thing ticked off my bucket list.
The lecture was on John Wilkin's legacy- It was really interesting, I was pleased to have had the opportunity to have attended it.
Abi managed to attend too so we got to have a catch up afterwards, which was an unexpected perk!







No comments:

Post a Comment