Thursday 10 July 2014

Velvet blazers are won through hard fought battles :)

I nipped into town this evening to pick up some bits and bobs- I always venture into the sally army shop on the way home  because the upstairs always has loads of good books- and they're £1.50 each- And that is why I always go on the way home- not on the way top wherever I'm going.
:)
I usually return the books a few weeks later, so I'm basically paying to rent books from a charity- I know it doesn't make financial sense but I just can't seem to help myself!

Anyway, Today I didn't even make it upstairs.
As I walked in the door, hung on the rail on the left directly inside the door was a 1970s M&S black velvet blazer- with all it's buttons- It's barely been worn- even the cuffs don't show any wear and the fabric is still quite stiff.
If I didn't know it was second hand it honestly looked new. Lining was totally intact and unworn- normally the seams are a bit pulled but even the labels were all completely legible.
I thought it was too good to be true, but I tried it on anyway and it was a good fit- maybe a touch on the snug side when done up but for £6 it was brilliant!

Then I tried to lift my arms up in it- as if you can't lift your arms up theres no point buying a jacket, cold boobs I can deal with, the inability to put my glasses on or shove my hair out of my face I cannot.
So, Arms successfully in the air and then an instant hit of someone else's BO.
urgh.
It was vile.
Whiffy pits I do not like- especially when the whiff is someone else's!

I checked the label and it said in massive letters and 3 european languages "dry clean only".
So, measuring up bargainousness - It's not a bargain to pay £6 for a blazer then £10 for a dry clean. You could buy a new blazer for that.
but then for £6 it's worth a gamblor with the washing machine (I have some really nice merino wool dresses from Monsoon that are dry clean only but I just machine wash them- and all my party dresses and vintage clothes- 9/10 I think that the manufactures are just covering their arses incase the item shrinks- It doesn't meant it definitely will)

I asked the guy behind the counter if the shop had a steam cleaner- he said that they did- So I explained that I wanted the jacket but it was stinky, so could he please steam it before I bought it.
He said yes. 5 minutes later he came back and told me that because it smelled he had to put it out for the rag man and couldn't sell it to me.
I was gutted!
He seemed to be a bit frazzled so I just left it, and walked out of the shop- but when I got to the end of the road I turned round and went back for it- I was determined to own that blazer!

I walked back in and the guy was behind the counter, talking to a woman with a "staff" lanyard on, I got to the counter and he was saying "I told the girl that it was going out for rags, But we could wash it and put it out tomorrow- She wasn't happy with my decision and she stormed off..."
I happen to be of the opinion that I was gracious in accepting the jackets fate.
I may have a bitchy resting face, but I don't think I have a stormy walk.

I cut him off at that point with a "That would be me you're discussing!" and a bitchy smile. I didn't think I wanted to hear any more about what a disagreeable person I am.
The bloke left to go home, and the woman sold me the stinky jacket for half price- probably out of embarrassment that I'd overheard them bitching about me!

She also explained that they'd had quite a day; Someone had nicked £40 out of the till and they'd had to call the police- and she apologised on behalf of her colleague, who'd taken it all quite badly.
She also said that they're not allowed to sell items if they're imperfect as people complain- Frankly I think they ought to check their items better in that case- but I really can't understand why you'd return something to a charity shop- I mean, you know you're buying something which is second hand- you check it properly and try it on!
In the end I felt a bit bad about the discount so I bought a pencil skirt pattern and a bag for life to make up the price difference.

Bah.

I got the blazer home and stuffed it in the machine on a cold delicates cycle- When I took it out it looked about the right size and still had all it's buttons.
I did a pit check and it didn't smell anymore either.

I am delighted with my new blazer and I cannot believe I almost lost it to the rag man- now it doesn't smell it really could be new!
I am less delighted with my free character assassination, but given the whole context of his day I think I'll let it go.




No comments:

Post a Comment