Sunday 2 August 2015

Filipino festival

Today we went to the british filipino summer festival. Traff's friend Lito has a filipino catering company and were running a stall there- He suggested we come down and try some new foods.

The food was amazing, we had more traditional filipino dishes than you can shake a stick at. I also tried mango ice cream and sweet yam ice cream. The sweet yam one was bright purple!
I really wanted to try helo-helo which seems to be the filipino equivalent of a trifle. It's chick peas and berries and banana (ewww) soaked in a syrup then covered with the mango ice cream and topped with sweet yam ice cream.
I need to find someone who'll make me a banana free version!

The bands on the stage were pretty good. It was really sunny and just lush to lie on the grass and listen to music.

The start to the festival was a traditional parade in national costume with a statue of "the queen if hope" the ladies and children in the parade then assembled on stage and lead us all in prayer.
Traff did not spontaniously combust as anticipated.

The stalls had filipino foods- I had a bottle of lychee juice bubble tea (the bubbles are coconut gel!I always wondered) and some cakes... I hope the green one is pandan cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment