Monday 3 August 2015

Cape making

Today I embarked on a rather crazy sewing mission.
I made myself a 50s style cape from a project runway pattern which came with a sewing magazine.

I've wanted a cape for ages and I can only assume many other people feel the same as one post I put up years ago about how to cut and sew your own cape is always in my "top 10 most read".

This project does not come cheap. It needs 6m of 150cm wide fabric or 10m 115cm wide fabric. That is a lot of fabric. A whole living room floors worth infact.
I made mine from the plain red i git in southall (£1 per metre) and lined it with an old table cloth i got for a fiver. Therefore the total cost for this project was £8.

If I was to do this again i'd probably use fleace fabric and just line it all with a patterned cotton to give a contrast lappel. That would be quicker and easier- and reduce the amount of 'outer' fabric used. It would also make it lighter. Some of my stitches are already looking pulled because of the weight.

It's a straighforward enough pattern. The biggest challenge is just the size of the project- trying not to catch bits of it when sewing other bits was a headache.

I've learnt loads today though. I've never made a lining before so that was interesting.
I've put my poor sewing machine through it's paces!

No comments:

Post a Comment