Saturday 19 October 2013

Xmas wrapping, Rickshaws, experimental gin and more videos

Today has been pretty productive- this is the first weekend this month I've spent in my own home! so that has to be a winner!
I also had my first saturday lie in in 3 weeks, So I had loads of energy for all my brilliant ideas today!
And the not so brilliant.
Nothing is done by halves.

I've been properly on one all day- somewhere between well rested and hyper- I managed to fall and twist my ankle on the way into town, Tidying up I managed to hit myself in the face with a box of photographic paper and sterilising my gin jar I managed to pull the lid off and pour hot water all over myself.
I had to re-attatch the lid with an adjustable spanner so there are questions about it's leakproof ness.

Traff went to the gym this morning so I walked into town to get some fruit for my gin infusion before I lose enthusiasm for it and use the jar for something else.
I had wanted to make cranberry and orange gin, but cranberries are summer fruits- so I'm well and truly out of luck for getting hold of them- I had a long conversation with Helen last night on the phone- she seemed to thing maybe rehydrating dried cranberries might work. I'm dubious.

I just went to the market to se if any fruit combinations took my fancy.
So in the end I've made peach and pomegranate infused Gin.
I made the recipe up all by myself. I suspect I needed to put more pomegranate in as the flavour is more delicate- I used 3 large pomegranates and 3 large peaches and 100g sugar in the end- but this is an experiment and it might pan out well.
I'll let you know at christmas!




I also added a little more sugar to my blackberry baccardi- It's looking pretty good! the colour is incredible and it's gone quite syrruppy. like grenadine. I can't believe it's only 1/3 rested- one month down 2 to go!
The real question will be what to mix it with?
I suspect apple juice will make an interesting cocktail type drink.
I think for the Gin, it might need lemonade or bitter lemon for the sharpness to combat the sweetness of the fruit.
Maybe next time I have a freebie bottle of gin I'll try infusing it with some herbs instead.


Whilst I was mooching around the market I also bough Traff a new hot sauce- Called "satan's shit".  he seems pleased with it.
I'll keep you posted on what he does with it now- although hopefully it's not spike my food!

Opposite the market a new chinese restaurant has opened- and I really love their on street advertising!
Traff was whinging to takes up the majority of the pavement but I think it's worth having to dodge into the road for.



On the way home I popped into Wilkinsons- I was after wrapping paper as some of my friends from Cardiff are here next weekend and one of them- Hayley- Has just had her birthday so rather than post her present I'd kept it here- I also thought I could probably give them some xmas presents to take back- saving me a bit of time and stress in a month or so, As we're not planning to go back to Cardiff before xmas.
What I ended up with is far more amazing than wrapping paper:

These are marketed as "lanterns" you're supposed to put a candle in them.
I can see no possible danger in putting a lit candle in a paper bag.
O_o

I think they make awesome wrapping paper- OK, I grant you they're not super festive but I like them better than christmas paper- And I'm sure people will easily be bale to guess who their present is from!
I just have family presents left to get now, and I'll be all ready for Christmas!

I know this seems way to early to be this organised- but of all the presents on my sofa only one of them will take less than an hour in the car to deliver- I don't want to be driving the length and breadth of the UK in December when the weather is awful- I'd rather give people presents early and avoid the christmas crush when shopping too!

I do get excited about everything quite early, I've been excited about christmas since August- so I've held out well.
I am also very excited about my brithday. Bonfire night, Fireworks, Sparklers and anything shaped like a toadstool.
I am unbearable to spend any length of time with at the moment. Everyone else seems to have grown out of being SO EXCITED THEY CAN'T SLEEP FOR BEING EXCITED years ago. My family think it's hilarious. There is a strong possibility it just does everyone else's heads in.

I plan to spend this evening watching the lion king and looking for recipes in the internet for culinary wednesday to help me use up my 4 peaches and 3 pomegranates I have left over!
I got all my fruit for £4, which I personally think is a bargain!

Market people, you have won me over with your thrifty excellence!


I might use the pomegranate to make a kind of grenadine with real fruit in it.. or perhaps I can just juice them and add that to the shop bought juice.
Shirley temples all round until the infused alcohols are ready!

Ingredients
  • A 32 oz.bottle of pomegranate juice*
  • 2 cups sugar
  • Food coloring (optional)**
Instructions
  1. Bring 4 cups of pomegranate juice (the whole 32oz bottle) to a boil.
  2. Lower heat and simmer until it reduces in half. You can let it reduce more that half if you want it to be a bit thicker. This process took about 15 minutes.
  3. Add sugar and let it dissolve.
  4. Chill.

Read more at http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/01/how-to-make-grenadine-and-why-you.html#1yb5VMyfPruochpW.99

And this could be a good use for the peaches- or perhaps some kind of upside down cake along these lines (obviously I'll make my own cake better- I'm not a heathen!

Recipe: Easy Peachy Dump Cake submitted by Joyce H.
  • 1 Large Can Peaches (I used a 29 ounce can and did not drain the juice)
  • 1 yellow cake mix
  • 1 stick butter
  1. Grease bottom of a 9×13 pan.
  2. Pour in yellow cake mix (dry).
  3. Pour can of peaches over cake mix.
  4. Melt butter and pour over the top of the peaches and cake mix.
  5. Bake in a pre-heated 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment