Tuesday 15 October 2013

Gin Infusions

At the weekend- whilst persuading my parents to at least part with SOMETHING because they're supposed to be downsizing- We cleared out the alcohol cupboard.

In it we found an unopened bottle of gin, possibly from the 80s- which came from my grandmother's house in the early 2000s.
Somehow I have been gifted this.
So, with the overwhelming success of my blackberry bacardi, I'm now going to make a gin infusion too! (I do have a clippy lid jar left over. it needs alcohol in it!).

Looking at recipes I've found some awesome ones- One was for tea infused gin which sounds like my bag entirely!
however, I accept that this will be served to my festive visitors, who may not feel the same way about earl grey.
And I'm not sure what you'd mix it with....

Anyways, these are my current recipe contenders:

Cranberry Gin Recipe

400ml gin
250g fresh cranberries
A couple of slices of orange peel

  1. Stab the cranberries with a knife or skewer to pierce the skins.
  2. Remove the flesh and pith from a small wedge of an orange, and slice into thin strips.
  3. Fill an empty gin bottle with the cranberries and orange peel.
  4. Pour in gin (using a funnel) to fill the bottle.
  5. Store in a cool spot, shaking the bottle once or twice a day to stir.
  6. After 2 days, my gin was already a gorgeous pink shade, with a delicate cranberry flavour. By 2 weeks, it was very drinkable, and I rebottled it into two 200ml bottles.
- See more at: http://blog.rachelcotterill.com/2013/09/infusing-cranberry-gin.html#sthash.IuX3zhH5.dpuf

ooorrrrr

Apple and pear Gin:

Ingredients:

  • 1-750ml bottle premium gin
  • 4 red apples
  • pear (red is recommended)
  • 1/4 lb dried pears
  • infusion jar with tight sealing lid

Preparation:

  1. Cut the pear and apples into slices.
  2. Place all pears and apples in the bottom of a clean mason jar or similar jar with a tight sealing lid.
  3. Pour the gin over the fruit and shake a few times.
  4. Seal the lid tight and store the jar in a cool, dark place for about 1 week.
  5. Test the flavor of the infusion daily.
  6. Once the flavor is to taste, strain the fruits from the gin.
  7. Wash the jar and return the flavored gin to it.
  8. Store as you do other liquors.

No comments:

Post a Comment