Wednesday 5 November 2014

My favourite time of year :)

I took this photo on my way home from work:


I love it when it's getting dark in the evenings so the sun is really low with a yellowy glow and all the shadows are long.
I Think the light is beautiful.
It's my favourite time of day to take photos, the light is so yellow it makes everything glowy and warm looking and the shadows immediately tell you that it's autumn. It makes me feel nostalgic.

It reminds me of being a teenager and aimlessly wandering around my home town in the evenings, or mooching about in parks or peoples gardens with nothing better to do.

It reminds me specifically of sitting about in the kids play park behind my Secondary School with Kirstie and Nik, I remember that it was freezing cold , she was wearing her cat jumper with matching mittens (I wasn't wearing a coat because that's just not cool but I was wearing my enormous pink flaired trousers from the american vintage shop in reading) and we were both wearing glittery pink eyeshadow (Stargazer brand and it specifically said it was not to go on the eyes) I remember sitting on the swings and looking up at the sun through my eyelashes because the glitter looked like stars.

It also reminds me of the bonfires we used to light and sit around in the woods behind Nik's house, when the evenings were dark and it started to get cold.
We just used to sit about doing nothing but being cool, then go home stinking of woodsmoke, covered in mud and soaked to the bone.
Not long after my parents finally relented and bought me a mobile phone (A phillips phone, with an ariel, I must have been about 14) I remember we sat about in the woods all evening- it was pitch black and raining- I was in such a rush to get home I didn't realise that my phone had fallen out of my (Marilyn manson) hoodie pocket.
My phone was so rubbish that when I went back the following day to look for it, it was still where it had fallen.
And despite the heavy rain, it worked beautifully for a number of years.

They don't make mobile phones like the used to.


No comments:

Post a Comment