Sunday 30 November 2014

Malmesbury

I stopped off to see my parents on the way back from wales- My mum and sister have kindly offered to assist me in delivering my presents- like lovely xmas elves!

We went to Malmesbury for a look around- there is a rather impressive abbey- it only survived Henry VIII's assault on all things Catholic because someone bought it to store bales of wool in!
That is a bit crazy!
It has been restored- the windows were made by William Morris- and the original roof with all it's carvings and painting has survived too.
It's an impressive building with lovely gardens and the graveyard.


Which brings me to a point of interest- this is one of the headstones in the graveyard:


It's the grave of a serving girl from a local pub who got too close to a tiger in a travelling circus in the 1800's and was mauled to death.
Interesting stone. Bit of a shame for her really- I don't imagine people got to see very many tigers in real life.
It's almost local legend now!

After the abbey we went for teacakes and chai lattes in a lovely coffee shop- and then we did a spot of shopping- I got 2 new baubles for the tree which look like retro light bulbs.
All the shops had awesome window displays- this is possibly my favourite of the day:




No comments:

Post a Comment