Sunday 29 June 2014

Cambridge University Day 2

We had breakfast in the university cafeteria- I had a fry up- In honesty I was still too full from last night but I really wanted to eat fried potatoes and bacon for breakfast.
Tomorrow I will be more healthy.

We spent all morning looking at maths problems- With an emphasis on problem solving.
I regret watching the harry potter films.
It was a grave error.
The majority of the maths was just A level stuff so nothing really horrible, but almost all of it was in totally unfamiliar context- lots of ropes and chains and ignoring resistance or gravity. So lots of thinking and discussion.

We finished doing maths at 4pm having started at 9am to cover university admissions and how the application process works- In complete honesty that is why I am here and I'm so tired from doing all the problem solving I'm not sure I've retained any of it!
I took loads of notes though!

After the lecture- at 5pm we went into Cambridge

Dinner was at Corpus Christi College, We arrived early and one of the lecturers who lives there gave us a tour- He showed us the quad

Told us about the library- they hold books from the 15th century- Saved when then monasteries were destroyed by henry the eighth.

He showed us the 13th century building- now used as halls of residence, but what was the original college.

And the masters lodge.

Behind it you can see the original Cavendish Laboratory.

And he showed us the chapel

Dinner was amazing- Corpus Christi actually does hold feasts in their dining hall- which was very fitting as it reminds me greatly of harry potter! This was much more exciting than then dinner we had yesterday night! The food was served canteen style- And it was excellent. I have learned mostly this weekend that Cambridge university students are exceptionally well fed.

This was followed by an estimation lecture at Corpus Christi with a group of students. It was really interesting- I nicked the worksheets for work!

After the lecture we went to the pub- I had one drink and then was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open! I'm so exhausted.
All this thinking is very hard work.







No comments:

Post a Comment