Monday 3 February 2014

Machine sewing, pattern cutting, Valentines cards and home-made chocolates.

In crafting terms this weekend has been a good start and bit of a washout:

On Saturday I cut some patterns for things I want to try and make with my sewing machine- some from the book I bought last month and some from patterns I'd cut myself.
I'd been waiting to try the book patterns until I had some baking paper to trace them onto- I have no idea if thats standard dress making practice or just my mother eccentricity- but that is what I have done.

I've also cut my fabric, so it's all ready to stitch together.
I can see some flaws with some of my xmas prototypes- one of them certainly looks too small so once I've made it up and seen what it's like finished I'll try to figure out a way to adapt it.

To make space for the sewing machine I've cleared my dressing table of make up- it looks pretty weird having such a clutter free bedroom.
I've even managed to find a plug for the sewing machine- but sadly that means I can't listen to records whilst sewing.
I must choose.

I've also found the instructions for threading my sewing machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7SxLOq6sd4


As somewhere on one of our many house moves I've lost the instruction manual. I have a john lewis mini sewing machine in pale pink- they're pretty good value really for £50- and the needles and bobbins are £1 for a multipack so that makes it even better value! It only does "light" fabric (which is why I don't have a  1950s style cape yet for Hednas, as I'll need to swap sewing machines with someone to make it.).

On Sunday I had fully planned to start sewing- everything was ready! All I needed to do was fill the bobbins with thread and thread the machine up. Instead I've re-read the first 4 Harry Potter books- and started the 5th (The order of the Phoenix). Traff asked me how I can re-read the same books over and over again. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I have an embarrassing schoolgirl crush on the dark and brooding Sirius Black- to the point where I've marked the pages/chapters worth reading more than once (The reason I didn't watch the films was that I didn't think the actor they cast did him justice- In my head, Sirius Black is HOT).
And that has taken up my entire day.

However, this means I've followed doctors orders and kept off my foot and it has remained elevated.It's less puffy so I should probably admit that the man who's studied medicine for 7 years and "practiced it"for as long as I've lived here, if not longer, might be right.
And been bored out of my wits.

On Monday I started out by doing my chores- I had to go and buy an ankle support as I'll be in work tomorrow, and I'm supposed to support my stupid bashed up foot all the time anyway. (I'm finally taking this advise as my ankle feels uncomfortably like it's fizzing... Is that good? or bad?)
I tried boots but the pharmacist just kept telling me all I needed for my "sprain" was a tubigrip. Sometimes I catch my sock elastic on the back of the foot and it makes me vomit a bit in my mouth, I don't want that full time!
I did get a wrap thing for my ankle in TKMaxx- and on the way out, I spotted some seriously reduced Levi jeans. Mine now!

Obviously, I can't show you EVERYTHING I've managed to make as some of this stuff is practice runs for my xmas crafting- but these I can show you (I promise thats not just a cover- I really have done loads today as I'm off "resting" my foot and Traff's on a course):

I made baby bootees (From the slipper instructions I posted in December) and a baby dress (modelled by my hot water bottle cover!) and then a scaled up pair of bootees for Kirstie. :P
I've got some other patterns to try later in the week too.

This was me trying to learn to use all the functions on my sewing machine- that video is really helpful (link posted further up the page) Even if the lady doesn't rate my sewing machine! "you get what you pay for" humph.

And at Brownies we made valentines cards, Chocolates and chocolate boxes- Very cool. We get them back next week in time to give to the beau of our choice.
Or eat them ourselves...

No, I think maybe I'll treat the wife to some chocolates. It is Valentines day, after all.. To be honest, we never celebrate valentines day- we both think it's a bit silly. We love each other 365 days of the year- and I object to paying jumped up prices for something just because it's February!

Also, As part of my procrastination today, I found this video on happiness- I have no idea how you can do this in "real life" without it sounding like you're about to do something either dramatic or stupid, but It's a good idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHv6vTKD6lg&list=PLzvRx_johoA8PC6S5k5S2SszRQOR8oSEa&feature=share&index=1

No comments:

Post a Comment