Sunday 16 February 2014

100 Days Happy Challenge

Ah, I'm aware that I've been a right grump lately- It's definitely reflected in my posts!

I think being stuck in the house lately and being exhausted from hopping about on my crutches (I'm going to have back and shoulder definition like Arnie if I have to use them for much longer! A day at work is more of an upper body work out than the body pump classes down the gym!) have made me less appreciative of what I do have (And more focussed on what I can't do right now).

(Incase you've never seen Arnie's back, here it is! Mine is a little way off this yet, but we have 8 weeks of crutches to go- that said my arms are bigger already.)

I'm thinking of doing this:
http://100happydays.com/

The deal is that you take a photograph of something which made you happy every day for 100 days in a row.

I was talking to one of my friends about this, and he's put off from taking part as he thinks that the idea of "failure" from not managing to find something "happy" every day for 100 days in a row would undermine the point of the project.
I sort of feel differently.
I think that even if for just a few days in a row you can take a photograph of something which made you happy, at least you're taking the time to consider what it is that does.
100 days is a very long time.
But then, every day should have something which makes you happy! Even if you have a really really horrible day there is always something that cheers you up.

I guess we're just so busy in our lives we don't always take the time to appreciate the people and beauty around us. (And no, I haven't been drinking).
Perhaps I should clarify- I'm not unhappy. I'm pretty chipper really, but I do think I take my friends, boyfriend, family, house, job, surroundings etc for granted, which is not something I'm proud of.

I suppose this sort of follows the post I made about a week ago about happiness- Studies show that our own happiness increases (and remains increased) when we show other how much we appreciate them, rather then concentrating on doing things to try and make ourselves feel "happy" (like spas or make overs or girly films or ice cream) I sort of would expect that over 100 days you'd have a split of both ways of improving happiness, but as you're paying more attention to it, perhaps a lean towards the former (friends, strangers, companies who impact on your happiness- which in turn leads to an overall increase in happiness, not a transient increase and decrease)?
Let the 100 days begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment