Tuesday 7 August 2012

London


started off in camden town! woop- wandered round all the markets and admired things. I was ever so restrained. this is the big chandelier in the main market.


horsemarket.


stalls! yay. it always looks so shiny and exciting.


new outdoor ironwork and sculptures.


new stalls! this stuff is SO cool- I want my house to look like this!


yes, I wish we had taken that advice.. grrrr.. emntal tube. delays. increased fare prices. more restrictions on travel times... oh, olympics your shine has come off badly today. you are tarnished for making me wait until 8pm to travel home when I was ready to leave london at 6. thank you pianist in st pancras for keeping me sane.
and the lady in neils yard for cheering me up- I love the fragrance of lavender and geranium. they don't make ut, but they shell all their product bases- shampoo, hand cream, body cream etc un fragranced and they will add whatever fragrance you like- you pay per drop for essential oils- and it works out at like 1/2 the price as the plain producst are like £6 each and the oils are like £1 each so thats £8 total for a custom product.
or even cheaper if I get my own essential oils and just order their products online..

anyhow, I digress...


I persuaded tony to come to highgate cemetery with me. FINALLY. no-one else appreciates my "morbid" interest in resting places.
I quite like that we remember ordinary people. I like the headstones that tell you something or show character. so today I was very happy:

this is the resting place of virginia woolfe's father.

one of the paths in the cemetery lined with massive victorian monuments. no photos can do the sheer scale of this place justice. it is huge. we spent 2 hours just walking round and thats only the smaller part of it!


Karl Marx's resting place.


weird grave sandcastle type ensemble. I have no idea why this is so fascinating. it just weirdly is.


more attempts at showing scale, really not doing justice. this was the main graveyard for london for a very long time. its all jumbled with people- famous and ordinary all dotted together.


the grave of the hitchikers guide to the galaxy author. I like the pens. more fitting than flowers.


memorial to london fire fighters who have lost their lives in the line of duty. there are modern plaques added round the base, and a sperate memorial to those who lost their lives fighting fires at the al hambre - the finest music hall in london- used to stand in Leicester square.

humour. never wasted.




this is the mausoleum of the bloke who invented the orient express. i think it is bigger than my flat.


long walks need refreshment. chai tea. yummy.

Tony looking very cross with his iced coffee.


next we took a trip across london to the childhood museum in bethnal green. it was very cool- all the photos shown below are things that caught my attention- I've included their blerbs!






















No comments:

Post a Comment