Thursday 12 January 2017

The outsiders

I'm crazy about this book!

I took the copy Ray and I share (we were given it as children) on holiday to read on the plane.
When we got back I ordered my own copy and the film (which I didn't realize existed) from Amazon.

My new book has bigger font, so the page layout is different. It was weird actually reading it with emphasis in different places (because I guess the top of the page always has more of your attention than the last line).

Then there was an interview with Hinton last week.
The book was first published in 1967 (she wrote it in high school) so they were asking her about it's appeal.
Apparently there is more fan fiction written about the outsiders than any other book!
I did check some of that out on the internet and by god the inner workings of some people's minds scare me!

I came across a bit of another interview she did in 2006.
I guess everyone wants either a prequel or a sequel or both. She said she won't write either.

When asked what she thought happened to the characters, her answer was incredibly real for 1960s Americans living in.poverty:

Soda and steve join the army and fight in Vietnam. Soda is killed one week before his 19th birthday (that is only 2 years after the book is set!) Steve returns a heroin addict, has a string of failed marriages and eventually gets clean and works as a drugs support worker.
Ponyboy becomes a writes,but doesn't remain in America.
Darry owns is own extremely successful roofing company.

...no predicted future for two bit though.

I was surprised that she would let soda die, but she's a realist and that's what makes her writing so great. It's in keeping with his reckless impulsive character.

I always thought i'd love a sequel. But not like that! Those characters have suffered enough! I want a happy sequel where things finally work out a bit better!
I'd also really love to read the back story of Dallas (or two bit). I looked on some of the fan fiction sites but they were weird.
You know when you come away from something wondering if you both read the same book?
I could do a better job than that! Maybe I will try when I get the chance...

No comments:

Post a Comment