Wednesday 18 January 2017

The Outsiders Fan fiction

OK, I'm pretty picky (It transpires as this is my first foray into reading this stuff) I realise that my interest is almost entirely sequels, prequels and back story. I have honestly read more than 100 fan fiction stories now.
Some I finish because I've started them, but most I read a few chapters and give up. The charters aren't right, or it's too dramatic (The outsiders is pretty understated, you're left to do most of the imagining) or the relationships between the characters aren't right. Poor Steve gets a lot of shit in fan fiction. I couldn't imagine hating an imaginary charter so much- especially when he's not the bad guy! Some fan fiction is really out there.. Aliens, hover bikes, ghosts, male on male pregnancy.. so odd..

Anyway, from my 3 weeks of reading I have found a few stories that are worth the read, and actually would be good in their own right too.
I will add to this as I find more. (Theres 6 months until the next black butler, a few months until the black butler move and 6 months before the next Natsume's book of friends book is out and the new season just finished on Japanese TV.. so a few more months to wait there. This has taken over as my main source of reading and amusement).

I started by reading some interviews with S E Hinton, where she admitted to writing a number of fan fiction stories, but only from Darry's point of view "The older I got the more he resonated with me".

She didn't disclose her username or the site names, but she did discuss some other fan fiction that she personally thought was brilliant... So that was my starting point. She said in the interview that the top link- the christmas one "captured her characters perfectly" and that she "Couldn't have written better" so, this was where I started reading:

The Christmas after the book is set:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6659373/1/So-this-is-Christmas

Ponyboy turns 21 (I relate to this so much more than her version- which I posted about before, I can't believe she'd kill off soda pop!) I can get on board with this one and it addresses some of the questions you're left with at the end of the book too, so it's cleverly written. It's pretty true to the times as well, whoever write it knows their history!
This one is current and looks like it will be updated.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11967227/1/Dreams-of-the-Living-Dead

What would happen if Dallas never came to Tulsa?
Dallas is my favourite character in the outsiders. He's just so tuff. I love how his character progresses through the book and you're given a little bit more about him every chapter. Bless him, he's not just some cold, unfeeling hood. I still want to know how he bends up in Tulsa from New york. This kind of talks a bit about it but it's not enough!
http://ficwad.com/story/100520

Alternative ending: What would happen if Johnny wasn't the one who stabbed the Soc?
Usually I don't go in for this stuff.
It's a bit too self indulgent, but it's well written and it gives a platform to explore some of the characters a bit more so why not? I don't usually go in for the input of a higher power but it's entertained me whilst I've been sick, so I'll let it have a place on the list.
This one is also current and looks like it may be updated.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12080261/1/Changing-Places

I also really like the movie. it's pretty sympathetic to the books and really well cast (All before they got properly famous but keep an eye out! it's on show box)

And an addition already!
Soda and Dally drop out of school:

I'm still looking- This one is 110% worthy of the list, It's an alternate reality- What if Pony was sent away by the state before anything else could happen, only, it made things far, far worse?
This is well written and current- Still being updated.
Write faster! I need to know what happens!



No comments:

Post a Comment