Tuesday 5 August 2014

Blackberrying, Red velvet cake & Val's leaving do at Eatalia

Today was an early start- I had to be at the top of the hill by the nature reserve at 10am to meet Helen and Si and their girls Ruby and Daisy.
The girls were very keen blackberry pickers- with lost of plans for how to eat them- they're having eaton mess, and pie and crumble and juice!
I just hope they picked enough berries!

We also picked some more apples for pies and eating- This time I only got 2 cooking apples, all the rest of mine were the eating variety, as I was disapointed with how tart my tarts were last time- and I'd like to actually eat some apples.
The girls loved picking apples, poor simon had to carry a whole bag for life of apples round the woods with him!

We also picked greenguage plums and we found a cherry tree but the cherries weren't ready yet- I'll definitely be going back in a few days to check their progress.
The proper plums still aren't ready and we didn't find any sloes.

We finished in the woods at midday- Helen took her family off to their grannys for some lunch- although they ate sooo many plums and berries I have no idea how they were going to fit any sandwiches in.
I headed home to wash the berries- and got a text from karl and Emma inviting me to join them for lunch- so I changed my t-shirt for one less covered in blackberries and grass and god knows what else and joined them in town.
I had red velvet cake and a dolly mixture milkshake for lunch- and honestly after all that walking and carrying things I deserved them both!

They headed of to the retail park, and I did a spot of shopping- Traff's photo of me with the owl made me realise that my denim shorts are now too big and not very flattering.
I found the perfect pain in M&S but they only had them in an 8 or a 10. The sales lady was like "Oh you'll easily fit a 10" so flushed with pride I scampered off to the changing room to be bitterly disappointed.
A 12 would have fitted perfectly.
The 10 needed one of those maternity extender things to do the button up with- the legs were a good fit though! It's my fat bottom (Traff calls it "Gheto booty") which causes all my sizing issues.
All the other shorts in town required me to want to walk around with said bottom hanging out of my shorts.
I am almost 30. I'm not sure my bum cheeks are pert enough for all that parading about.

After many hours of holding shorts up and muttering to myself about bum cheeks I decided to call it a day and headed home empty handed- Without my boyfriend who finished work at the same time :S I knew I was wasting time in town for some reason!

In the evening we went out for Val's leaving do- She's off to Manchester leaving me a guider short! We were going to go to Santaniellos but they don't open on a Monday, so Instead we're going to Eatalia, a new underground restaurant in the town centre.
2 courses for £8.90 in the week.
Bargainous.

The food was amazing- I have roasted aubergines on bruchetta with parmesan cheese to start - and it was massive- it would have been enough for a meal on it's own! Then pasta with peppers and chicken in a cream sauce which was amazing- I had regret for eating all of my starter.
They also gave us garlic bread and olives tooo.
Val ordered pasta with salmon and it

We shared a bottle of rose wine- 3 mills reserve rose- not very italian but possibly my new favourite wine!
Summery and sweet and perfect.
Sadly, It's probably a bit more expensive than my usual blossom hill white zinfandel.
but it's still a screw top! so that is a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment