Sunday 3 April 2016

Oxford with Traff and Kirstie

On Saturday Traff and I met up with Kirstie in Oxford. We both wimped out of our respective sports training in the morning (I usually have roller derby but thought it would be sods law I'd get an injury and Traff usually has wresting but as he has an injured foot and a match on Sunday night he decided to just hit the gym instead).
This meant we were able to have the afternoon in the city and enjoy the weather. I keep seeing it in the papers described as "The hottest weekend of the year so far" -That isn't exactly difficult- I't been miserable since November.

We walked in through Botley which was nice in the sunshine and then headed for broad street. It's the literary festival weekend so there was loads of dancing and people dressed up. We got ice cream (Don't start) and sat on the steps of the new bodlean library building opposite the Sheldonian and watched the festivities.

After that we went to The Queens Lane coffee house, which was the first coffee house in Europe. Where I drank tea to break with tradition.


Following that we just had a bit of a mooch about. I like taking Traff to Oxford because when he's like "I wonder what that is?" I usually know the answer. It makes me feel clever! I made him walk up the high street and back down past Merton college into the back of Christchurch meadows- Avoiding all the people! It is possible to get to places quickly and without being elbowed, you just have to know al the lanes and rat runs. And they have loads of those blue signs for famous people, and the road is cobbled. You don't get many chances to walk on cobbles any more! It's weirdly satisfying.

We had a mooch around the Modern Art Museum. Traff wasn't very fussed by the modern art. I did try and encourage him but he was glued to the football scores. I enjoyed the museum though.



After our mooch about we met kirstie for dinner in Thaikhun. :) It's so good. I know there are loads of really good thai places in Oxford but this one has all my attention for the time being. Especially as they serve a really good massaman curry (Yeah, another thing I'm not supposed to have. Shhh) and they do sticky rice.

After dinner we went to G&Ds and had ice cream and put the world to rights for about 2 hours. Traff was worried we'd get thrown out but there were lecturers marking books in the cafe so I think they're pretty happy to just let people koch about at their own pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment