Sunday 27 December 2015

Church Ruins in Ridgemont














This is a much more impressive abandoned church- It still has it's floors and the doors in place. this feels pretty post apocalyptic when you're stood in it.
The photos don't do it justice.

I had a good old mooch around the church and graveyard (Lots of very old graves :) my favourite) Whilst I was doing that Tats was collecting clues from the church to unlock a series of geocaches on the ridge.  That was the deal- I get my chriches, and she gets her treasure hunt. In the process of looking for clues she almost fell into a crypt- I have put the picture up to show the gap. There are a fair few collapsed "Family tombs" in this churchyard so you have to keep you eyes peeled with all that long grass- Between that and the falling masonry warning I feel like exploring is now an extreme sport. 

This is seriously worth a visit. even the font stand is still in place. There is something strange about pushing open those heavy oak church doors to be immediately faced with a view of the sky in place of a roof. The small things are still there, you can really see how the church was used still but nature has taken it back so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment