Saturday 7 February 2015

RAL

I am very lucky, because my work allows me the opportunity to visit lots of interesting places- On Friday I visited RAL in Oxfordshire- it was a bit of a throwback Friday! Always nice to visit somewhere you already know your way around!
It was especially lovely because I saw lots of people I knew, I saw Debbie and Ian and Eddy- and was recognised by some of my Mums old colleagues- although I'm ashamed to say I didn't know who they all were!

The day was action packed- It started with a lecture on the standard model- and the issues with it, then lectures about the work being done at CERN.

The was followed with a computing workshop- looking at the data collected by the Large Hadron Collider at CERN and looking for evidence of particles produced in the collisions.
It all looks very time consuming, and I can certainly see why they cannot every be certain.
It was really interesting, Bit I did feel a bit sorry for the post doctoral students working there doing research- I think it would be infuriating!

We had lunch in the visitor centre- roasted vegetables and rice! Very healthy. I followed it up with 2 slices of cake- All that learning was hungry work!

In the afternoon we got to go and see the ISIS particle accelerator (Unfortunate name but brilliant work!) and had a tour of the buildings.
That would be a very cool job!





No comments:

Post a Comment