Friday 6 September 2013

Blackberry vodka recipe- Although, I'll be using bacardi. Same difference.

I've committed to this now. it's happening. The berries from yesterday are all soaked and washed and in the fridge- I'm going to make a blackberry and apple pie for the wife to enjoy on his 2 weeks off, but I'll still have loads of blackberries left over!

I know I could make cupcakes or a fruit loaf or something, but we'll already have a massive pie to eat, so I've settled on making blackberry and vanilla Bacardi. Only because Tesco was out of value vodka and value gin. it was all pot luck really!

And Tesco are already selling christmas themed cupcakes! it's too early, let us enjoy autumn, and halloween and bonfire night. THEN we can think about christmas.

Kirstie pointed out I could have made blackberry brandy and actually, that sounds awesome so depending on my success with this, I may return to the woods next week and have another go at this alcohol infusing malarky.

I'm also thinking some cinnamon might be nice, and wishing I'd been arsed to collect some elderflowers, which might have been nicer than vanilla and cinnamon. next year.
Anyways, this is what you have to do, and it looks pretty straight forward.

Blackberry and vanilla vodka:
  • 500g washed fresh blackberries
  • 500ml vodka
  • 3 vanilla pods, split in half lengthways to expose the seeds
  • 100g caster sugar
Simply combine everything in a large, airtight bottle, seal and tip upside down a few times to agitate everything.
Place in a cool, dark place and tip the jar upside down every day a few times for the first week then every couple of weeks or so to help the sugar dissolve and mix everything together.
You can now leave this to infuse for at least three months (perfect for Christmas gifts) before straining the alcohol through some muslin to remove the berries, these will now be highly boozy so I often make a trifle or pie with them – definitely not for the kids though!
Taste your infusion, it is at this stage that you can choose to add more sugar if you want it a bit sweeter then pop it back in the cupboard, agitating every now and then until the sugar has all dissolved.

3 comments:

  1. So glad I come across your blackberry vodka/barcardi blog, really amusing and down to earth, question, would you still use vanilla pods with the barcardi. Ty Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I come across your blackberry vodka/barcardi blog, really amusing and down to earth, question, would you still use vanilla pods with the barcardi. Ty Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deedee, I have done it with and without and to be honest there is very little difference! Save your pennies and just use fruit and sugar! I have also made it with cinnamon sticks, which was very festive and the flavour came through pretty well, which is fine as long as you like cinnamon!
    It works really well with any fruit- I also made pair and pomegranate Vodka which was seriously good but only needed a week or 2 to infuse.
    If when it comes to drinking it it's a bit tart- try mixing it with either apple juice or lemonade to drink.
    I hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete