Saturday 11 January 2014

The Shard, The ball's Brother's Restaurant, Fishgoteque, Choccywoccy do dah, Camden, White lion bars and Shebeen



Today Traff and I went to London to use my birthday "Shard and Lunch" voucher- We were so luck with the weather- it was freezing cold but the views were amazing!
We also managed to fit in an incredible amount of other missions.
My feet hurt and my knees are cold- but it was soooo worth it.



We headed into london on the train and got off at London Bridge- It's not an area of london I know very well, And as we were a bit early for Lunch we had an explore.
We went for a look around the Cathedral and Borough market before returning to the Hays galleria for our food (The restaurant was really lovely- they let us come in a bit early as they weren't too busy so we were able to have a really relaxed lunch rather than being in a rush!)

The lunch menu is set but the options are really good- Traff had protabello mushrooms with cheese and garlic on bread to start- I tried some without being asked to and it was delicious!
For mains we both had butternut squash risotto- it was really good- Just the right balance of sweet and peppery.
I had lemon tart for pudding and did not share with Traff.

I also had a cocktail- It was called a "summer cup" and had gin. and lots of fruit. Some of the fruit looked like frog spawn. I assume this to be passion fruit?


After finishing lunch we had just over an hour to spare before our Shard booking- So we went on a mission- to find the fishgoteque fish and chip shop near waterloo station:

Mission completed.

I wanted to go to the Old Operating theatre museum too- it;'s supposed to be interesting in a very gross way, but we didn't have time.
Next time!
Traff didn't look enthusiastic, So maybe I'll need a more intrepid partner for this adventure...


On to the SHARD! I've been so excited about this! I've wanted to go up the shard since they completed building it So to go within the 1st year is pretty good.



It's impressively tall from the ground- but once we were at the top it didn't feel very high up! The views were completely worth the entrance fee. I promise.
I caouldn't get over how far you could see- and how densely populated london is.
It's insane.
We saw so many trans and busses (The trains looked like caterpillars!) and all the cars with their lights on. We managed to spot the olympic stadium, Wembley stadium, St Pauls, The Tower of London and Traff found more major landmarks but I got distracted watching the trains.
And there was a helicopter.
London never stops. not even for a second.


So, All sharded out- and the viewing platform was insanely busy! I think we'll go again when all the hype has died down a bit- it's still a really new attraction and it's popular with tourists and locals alike.
We booked inadvertently for sunset too- which people had waited around to photograph making the platform even more busy than it probably had been an hour before.
It was beautiful.
It really was. Even over the heads of the 4 or 5 deep crowd.
There is no restriction on the length of time you can spend on the viewing platform. Perhaps it would be better to book for the morning, quite early and just stay up there a few hours before it gets really busy and you have to wait about to look at the views.

We headed to Oxford street to meet Amanda- The plan was to meet by Topshop, Go to Choccywoccydodah eat cake then mooch about.
Amanda ended up meeting us late- and by the time we'd found eachother in the chaos of Oxford street and made our way to Choccywoccydodah on Carnaby Street their cafe was closed for the evening. Although their chocolate sculptures are incredible!
I really do want to eat cake there, Maybe on my Operating theatre museum trip.
We tried another coffee shop on Carnaby street but they told us there was a 20 minute wait.

Rather than stand around in the cold we headed to Camden for Record shopping and Street market food.
I love camden street food- Normally I have moroccan but Amanda persuaded me to try "Bang Bang" Chicken, It's deep fried chicken with spices.
It is comfort food.
Especially with noodles and blackbean sauce.
We got to the market about 7:30 so many of the stalls were closing up- This is the food markets "happy hour" and massive trays of food cost £3.
I'm making sure this information sticks in my brain. I need more happy hour camden street food in my life!


We walked up through camden to Kentish Town to get the train home- the last newsagents before you turn right from Camden high street towards Kentish town sells white lion bars.
And  Peanut lion bars.
And polish Kit Kats of all different flavours.
Armed with Sweets for the train we headed on towards the overground station.
When we go there we realised we'd missed our trains by seconds, So we went to SheBeen Speak easy- under the Canteen restaurant (It's directly opposite the overground station).
Amanda had never been there before and was really impressed.
I was impressed because they had a new menu.
Traff was impressed because he got to read "5 go to the seaside" by Enid Blyton.



So a good, Gin soaked day was had by all. Except Traff. Who is now Enid Blytons biggest fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment