Tuesday 21 January 2014

Craft workshops

Recently Domestic sluttery posted about craft workshops as a suggestion for things to do in the new year- Most of them look awesome, and this really inspired me to book something and try something new.
http://www.domesticsluttery.com/2014/01/do-something-less-boring-instead-2014s.html

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot going on in Bedfordshire- or the south east for that matter- so I started out looking for craft courses in london.

Homemade london was my first port -of -call. I really wanted to do their dressmaking day course and handbag making.
http://www.homemadelondon.com/workshops
I was bit gutted though as both courses would have cost £315- don't get me wrong- to learn a news skill thats not too dear really, but it was £115 over my budget (the budget being my combined xmas money of £200).
So, I want away and had a think- and I'm really glad I did- I'd whinged to my mum about how expensive the course was and she messaged me a link to The Makery in Bath.

They run the same dress making workshop for £45.
Sold. that's a saving of £120
So, if you care to join me for a day of dress making- In April- Please do book..
http://www.themakeryonline.co.uk/workshops/sewing-textiles/teens-dressmaking/

I had another look online for courses I'd like to do- and found a course in london which teaches you how to make your own shoes! SHOES! So, I've booked summer sandal making in July for £80 - here is the link if you too would like custom footwear made by your own fair hand:
http://icanmakeshoes.com/courses/

This leaves me with £75  to book another course.
I'm not sure what yet.
I was tempted by knicker making, and the makery but it's tooo sooooon.
I might book perfume making at homemade london. or maybe hold out for a drawing course at bedford college... orrr maybe something else completely.

My other crafty success is that I do surveys for yougov- you get paid £50 every time you reach 5000 points. each survey is worth between 25-50 points so it's slow money- but it's a nice treat- and surveys are really not time consuming.
Some of the surveys only allow you prize draw entries- for every entry you get a "bronze prize"- Every month they send a survey for the prize draw points, so I've now bagged:
* 1 free personal training session
* half price pottery painting
* 1 free family portrait photo

I'm redeeming them next month so I'll let you know how I get on! I think that's a pretty sweet deal for like 5/10 minutes of my time- especially the family portrait!

If you fancy doing surveys here is the sign up link btw- it seems unfair to brag and not show you how to get free goodies too!- surveys are emailed to you but no spammy stuff. :)
https://yougov.co.uk/refer/H0tjX1cxFV1ufh5J5TGO2Q/



No comments:

Post a Comment