Friday 8 November 2013

Beauty school dropout (Vintage hair workshop in Fancy), The new fridge & the curly fry tragedy

Yesterday evening I attended Sarah's workshop on vintage hairstyles.
I love my hair styled vintage- But I always have to pay Sarah to do it- So it's only ever done on special occasions- I'd like to have a pin up look all the time- And the point of the workshop was to teach us how to style our own hair.

The workshop was in my favourite cake shop in town! :) Fancy is lush- I especially recommend the chai latte and chocolate brownies.
Although, on this occasion I was restrained and had polenta cake- which transpired to be a mistake with my sideshow bob back combing I found a lot of polenta trapped in it.
Note to self- Stop eating cake to style hair!

I sort of mastered victory rolls- and the hair roll for the snood- Although this took me forever- but The woman I was working with who's a hairdresser assured me that my hair is just difficult to work with- and chastised me to washing it daily.



The next style was the full victory roll- 40s women wore their hair in a full roll round the head like guttering to prevent nasty accidents with machinery in factories- and just let the back part down for evenings or weekends- (So most 40s styles people wear are like "fancy going out 1940s hair).

My hair isn't quite long enough to be transformed into guttering- I was relieved because"
a) I'd barely managed victory rolls
b) It made everyone look like princess Margaret and not in a good way.

Next we moved on to a full up do with a scarf

This is a rolled fringe (mine is a bit big... something to work on!) one large victory roll just behind the rolled fringe (you eventually secure the scarf between them) 1 or 2 victory rolls on each side- until you're out of hair on the top and sides, then just twist the back part up and pin it.

The scarf is the tied on, and pinned where the bow is, rather than on the back.

This was a really tricky style. I'll practice it because I did like it in the end- but too much effort for most days!

On an unrelated note we also had some good luck yesterday- the leting agency have agreed to replace our fridge! yay!

So Traff emptied it when he got up- and I filled the sink up with water and put all the fridge dwelling foods into the water, and left the window open and the heating off.
This actually worked really well.
Expect that the bag of curly fries took on water. :( A sad end to an excellent and dearly loved snack.

The only thing which didn't fare so well were the vegi burgers- so we're having them for tea!

Another Bonus is that Today our "learn to speak Malay" audio CD and book came :)
We're going to be pros!

I started to try and crochet myself a snood this evening- I have the crochet down, but I think I need a bigger crochet hook otherwise it'll be more like a swimming hat than anything else!
I'm using the recycled Tibetan silk "wool" I bought from the hippy shop in Cambridge ages ago- It's surprisingly hard to work with as it's stubborn and quite inflexible- I'll post a picture of it if I ever manage to finish it!
I also had a go at victory rolls-


They're more "victory chelsea buns" but that's a good start, right?

Sarah is going to Trade me a hairdressing kit for a bag of tuppaware goodies- My mum gave them to me- but I just don't have the space for them in the house- There are some really cool jelly mounds, and serving dishes and a salad bowl with a grater attachment and a storage lid- all in various garish colours.

I was just going to charity shop them so getting a present in return is a massive bonus! :D And it'll encourage me to do my hair if I don't have to go out and buy anything to do it with. I styled my "chelsea bun" look with my normal hairbrush- it was OK to do but the backcombing was really difficult to remove- and the sections were difficult to make- I'm excited for having a proper comb and a backcombing brush- Less damage to my hair!

Sarah wants the Tupaware to make table decorations for her friends wedding- who is mad about the 70s- So, she's chuffed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment