Sunday 11 August 2013

ไก่แผ่นแพทย์มะม่วงเขากระทะ (or, fried cashew nut with chicken)

Helen made this for me to demonstrate the malaysian style of cooking- she received the book this came from in Thailand on a cookery course when she was travelling around Asia. Malaysian cooking is very like a Thai, but more like vietnamese in that it's flavoursome- not hot. Some dishes contain chillies, but to enhance the taste- some thai dishes feel like they're designed to melt your face off!

Anyway, try this as it was was seriously delicious when Helen made it! we also added loads of mange tou instead of mushrooms as they were in season, and served it with egg fried rice, which I can't made... so if I serve you this it'll be with noodles!

I'm typing it up here as she scanned it in and printed it off for me, but my house is full of bits of paper- so for safety I'm putting it on here (and I'll put the recipe in my book full of my Thai learnings so that it comes with us if/when we move!)

you will need:
 50g chicken (although pork or quorn are also delicious)
50g cashew nuts (if you don't like cashews use almonds)
30g mushrooms
2 baby corns, sliced
1/2 a large onion
spring onion
garlic
1/2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
2tbsp oil

Method:

  1. put the oil into the wok and stir fry  the nuts until brown.
  2. Put the nuts in a bowl for later- leave the oil in the wok.
  3. Press then fry the garlic until brown.
  4. Add the chicken and fry until chicken is cooked.
  5. add the mushroom, onion, corn (and dried chilli if liked)
  6. add oyster sauce, fish sauce and sugar.
  7. add the spring onion and cooked cashew nuts.
  8. stir until cooked and serve with rice.

Traff and I are off to Malaysia in May so I'll let you know how our home cooking shapes up compared to the real deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment