Wednesday 24 April 2013

The saga of the courtesy car...

Ok, My car is having a bit of a fit at the moment- and in trying to get it fixed quickly- so that I can be back on the road I decided to book it into the dealership with the least waiting time for repairs- rather than the geographically closest garage.

(normally I just take it to halfords, but this issue was electrical so it has to return to meet it's maker)

This meant a 40 minute drive to Northampton.
This meant the acquisition of my first ever courtesy car.

Firstly I forgot my driving licence. so we had to call the DVLA to check I wasn't a crazed, drunken speed demon.
It transpires I am not.
Well done me.

Infact, I've been rather spoiled- When I arrived there was an issue with courtesy cars and they hadn't been returned, so they've loaned me a 2013 clio.
It's pristine.
And I am terrified.

Driving any car that is not your normal drive is horrible! I've only driven my car (and a go-kart- not the same at all) since 2007.

I got into this fancy, shiny car and was unable to plug in my satnav- the sales bloke had to help me whilst looking long suffering- that face you wear when you have to explain to your nan for the 40th time how to use the microwave... yeah, thats the one he wore.

I waited for him to go away before I tried to drive the car.
Initially I was proud of myself as I'd turned on the ignition without issue. As I tried to pull away I couldn't get the car to move- Handbrake.
I'm so glad the sales guy didn't see!
So I tried again, and it was highly reminiscent of my first driving lesson- All revving and poor clutch control and "kangaroo petrol" across the forecourt.

It managed to get off the forecourt and onto the road only because a kindly van driver waited for me to figure out how to make the car move. Thank you BT man! he probably thought it was my firsts car and I'd just passed my test. should've got some P plates. that would've saved my blushes.

I was so busy concentrating on driving my borrowed car nicely that I turned the wrong way out of the garage and immediately got lost in Northampton.

I finally escaped and drove back to town like someones nan. because this car is smaller than mine it feels like I'm driving everywhere at like 100mph! even when I'm really doing 20...

After about an hour I'd finally got back into town, and as I was sat in the queue for the roundabout I was mentally congratulating myself for "getting the hand of the car".
I then stalled and took forever to re-start the car.

Perhaps I'll be less nan-ish by friday when I have to return the damn thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment