Tuesday 10 May 2016

Style for when your arm is in a cast


So, When I fell on my wrist on Tuesday it turns out that i fractured it. I was adamant that it was a sprain, so I carried on as normal all week- including the spa, swimming, paddle boarding and carrying stuff about.

On saturday Traff decided enough was enough and took me to A&E. he went off to his wrestling show and i spent 5 hours being told off. My arm is now in a temporary cast, I have to go back to the fracture clinic on monday and either get a solid cast or a blue velcro support. Fingers crossed for the latter, but i am mentally prepared for the former. 6 weeks is a very long time to be unable to brush your own hair.

Fashion:
The cast on my are is 30cm around at the widest part. Go measure your "office appropriate" workwear. Not 30cm? no, neither were mine.
I have been wearing stretchy stroppy tops under the blue lacy M&S number in the photo above. I measured the arm holes in the shop and bought it a size too big. Still cute though, and hides my unprofessional under tops.
I also can't do zips, laces or buttons, so i had to go and buy a stretchy pencil skirt and some pull on daps. It's not my finest look, but it's (fingers crossed) only until Monday.
The hardest part has been that Traff has to help me to get dressed. He's really quite oblivious to how i usually dress. He tried to put my skirt on over my head.

Hair:
We established very early on that my hair is Traff's nemesis. I ended up wearing my brush as a fascinator on Saturday night. On sunday night Tina's daughter french braided my hair for work, which was a godsend. On Monday night Kelly french braided my hair again for me. Tomorrow I have a late start so Traff will have to do his best. I'm hoping one of the roller derby girls will braid it for me on Wednesday night at training.

Food:
I currently cannot use cutlery in a way that would be acceptable in any polite society. It's all slim fast and potato waffles right now.
I did eat an awful lot of samosas and cupcakes at the weekend too.
I'll get back on my higher protein cleaner eating once my arm is back in action. For now, I'm just eating whatever I can access and eat within a set timeframe (like work breaks... ) On the flip side I figure all that calcium can only be handy right now.


Travel:
Shoelace express.

The bottom line; If you must break your wrist, do it in an epic way- people laugh when i tell them I was roller skating! You'll need a super supportive friendship group and at least one friend who can french plait. You'll also need to be prepared for everything to take you 5 times longer than normal.

I will be late.
For everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment