Monday 4 March 2013

Gevena, CERN and the £14 gin and lemonade.



On friday night I went to Geneva with my work colleagues- this was possibly one of my most awesome and worst made plans all at once.

We got the train at 3:40. so I decided to stay at work and get a massage from the health and wellbeing lady then walk to the train station, get the train- nice relaxing weekend holiday.
no.
My massage over ran. then my walk to the train station was twice as long as I thought it was. and Randi Rang me to tell me I had 3 minutes before the train left when I was at the other end of the road to the station. without a train ticket.
I have never run so far or bought a ticket so quickly in my life.
And we then forgot Karl.
Who go the next train. 5 min later. all that running for nothing! O_o

The airport went equally as well- first my boarding pass wouldn't scan, then it wasn't recognised- for 5 agonising minutes. then it behaved.
Then I got frisk searched.
then my bag got confiscated.

 By the time we sat down for an airport dinner I was a nervous wreck!

but we made it to geneva and got the train into the city at about 9pm local time- seeee- this is us, on the incredibly clean and efficient train:



We walked from the main square to the youth hostel. and then we decided to go to the pub.
lord jim's pub. to be exact.
they gave us free peanut watsits. and the most expensive drinks I've ever bought (sadly and quite a low price for geneva).
We got in from the pub at 2am.


After the pub we returned to the hostel. and they'd added 2 more people to the room- as is normal in a hostel. a couple. a bloke and a woman. the bloke snored like a train.
I was not chipper in the morning.




We walked from the hostel to the UN buildings in the morning- this was a weird looking church which was at the end of the road to our hostel.
it was surprisingly war,m given the amount of snow on the ground!



This is the broken chair monument outside the UN buildings- which were sadly closed so we didn't get to have a tour. awesome looking place though with all the flags of the countries outside too.



Me outside the UN buildings!



From the UN we went to the city centre to get some lunch- we had awesome freshly made baguettes and I ordered mine in french!
We ate them on the train station (1st picnic of the year!) and had tea and muffins for afters.

I really love the images they use for the rail workers in Switzerland- how cool! Play mobil!


We took the tram to CERN- it has it's own line from the main square- and went around the particles exhibition first- it was really cool.
And we took some photos for the wall in the office!
:D

from the particles exhibition we went to the proper CERN site-ready for our tour- We got to see the computer nerve system of the whole site- which is based in france, and we got to see the LHC, as it's not running currently as it's being refurbished.
Awesomely cool.
We also went to a talk about particles.


on sunday before our flight home we went to the old town of Geneva by boat across lake geneva.
it was really pretty.
and hilly.
we had wanted to climb the cathedral tower to see the view, but mass was taking place. it was pretty cloudy anyways so I doubt we missed much.
We also got to see the famous fountains!




















No comments:

Post a Comment